Author Topic: "click to add" database  (Read 9688 times)

thecreditexpert

"click to add" database
« on: August 14, 2017, 07:00:51 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone will reply because I see no activity since 2015 but here's what I'm trying to do:
I don't want to pay a company such as a credit repair software co when I can build my own software for my business and this is what I am looking to do:

#1 have a screen where I choose which option I want: internal messages to other agents in my company, letter templates, client CRM, disputes reasons - I have already created my home card with these 4 buttons

#2 messages card - I don't need an email project for this - I just want a simple message/reply option

#3 letter templates - a database where I can store previous letters I have created and call up easily to edit

#4 - this is what I am really trying to build: "dispute reasons" - I would like to find out how to build an option that would allow me to input data which can be selected and then added to a document I'm working on. For example, if I am working on a letter I want to be able to go into my "dispute reasons" and click on "account is unknown" and the text "account is unknown" will be added into the letter where the cursor sits. This is like a "click to add" type of thing.

I tried to build it with the listbox option but I cannot find any materials on how to use listboxes. I went through the projects, getting started guild (it lists it as #12 and doesn't give any info in the PDF about it). is this what I am looking for to build the click to add?

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:04:36 AM by thecreditexpert »

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
Re: "click to add" database
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 07:43:11 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone will reply because I see no activity since 2015 but here's what I'm trying to do:
I don't want to pay a company such as a credit repair software co when I can build my own software for my business and this is what I am looking to do:

#1 have a screen where I choose which option I want: internal messages to other agents in my company, letter templates, client CRM, disputes reasons - I have already created my home card with these 4 buttons

#2 messages card - I don't need an email project for this - I just want a simple message/reply option

#3 letter templates - a database where I can store previous letters I have created and call up easily to edit

#4 - this is what I am really trying to build: "dispute reasons" - I would like to find out how to build an option that would allow me to input data which can be selected and then added to a document I'm working on. For example, if I am working on a letter I want to be able to go into my "dispute reasons" and click on "account is unknown" and the text "account is unknown" will be added into the letter where the cursor sits. This is like a "click to add" type of thing.

I tried to build it with the listbox option but I cannot find any materials on how to use listboxes. I went through the projects, getting started guild (it lists it as #12 and doesn't give any info in the PDF about it). is this what I am looking for to build the click to add?

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Hello, welcome to our forums and I hope you find them useful.

About your problems, #1#2 & #3 look doable in HyperNext but I can't see an easy way to get #4 working.
Hopefully you are on the right track with your Listboxes.

I tried using a field and then a canvas but only the field looks possible, unfortunately there is a problem that would need coding to get around it.

Fields have a FieldLineFN and a FieldPosFN function that return where the cursor was clicked(mouse up event):-

FieldPosFN returns the character position within the line - this works fine.

Code: [Select]
Put FieldPosFN into charpos

FieldLineFN returns the line position but it only works when the text is not wrapped. As your texts are letters and letters nearly always have wrapped text therefore this won't solve your problem without quite a bit of coding.

Code: [Select]
Put FieldLineFN into linepos

The problem with FieldLineFN is that it does not take into account wrapped text. The version of REALbasic I used couldn't do this and regretfully I never added the required code. Therefore to handle wrapped text in HyperNext you would have to use the character width and count characters to find where the click actually occurred - could be quite messy.

RunRev & LiveCode
Perhaps you could try RunRev's LiveCode - like HyperNext it is based on Apple's Hypercard - they have a Community Edition - free to use for personal use but not to be used for selling the built app. They have very active forums with lots of examples and info.

www.downloads.livecode.com/livecode/

http://forums.livecode.com

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:16:34 AM by Malkom »
I am sorry but I do not have time to answer questions by PM or email.
If you post your questions in this forum then it might help others.

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 11:15:13 AM »
Just a thought about the text wrap problem in #4.

You could store your letters with their correct format in your database.

However, when a letter is needed, convert it to single lines that would fit without text wrap in the field.
Then do your field click and insert the required text.
Finally convert the letter back to text wrap for storage in your database.

thecreditexpert

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 01:09:01 AM »
Thanks very much for the assistance. I am really trying to wrap my mind around this. I mean, I build websites so I am used to custom coding and drag and drops so this is something new.

I guess I should have stated that I am 100% stuck on the script/coding. I clicked through the guide looking for a place that explains the actual part of telling the script what to do - even the quickstart - and I can't seem to find a source. I did look at the projects as well but it's all stuff that is gibberish to me like: Put FieldLineFN into linepos <-- ????

It seems like everyone understands how to do this except for me. The quickstart guide made it seem simple: gotocard 2 and it goes to card 2 but when I tried entering in what I wanted, nothing worked. Ideas on where to get a script guide?

For #2 - without using the email project format, should I try using fields to do the message board style? Post a message, post an answer, post a mesage, post an answer, etc?

For #3 is there a project you can reference that would guide on making the database? I DO see database info in the guide but I it doesn't make sense to me because I don't understand where to find the info to USE them (see coding/scripting issue)

For #4 thanks for that info on this - I will look into it
I am using this for my business personally so I am not looking to sell or have anyone outside my business use this option

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated because being able to build this will cut time spent on client files from 2 hours per month down to 15 mins!

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 10:14:42 AM »
Thanks very much for the assistance. I am really trying to wrap my mind around this. I mean, I build websites so I am used to custom coding and drag and drops so this is something new.

I guess I should have stated that I am 100% stuck on the script/coding. I clicked through the guide looking for a place that explains the actual part of telling the script what to do - even the quickstart - and I can't seem to find a source. I did look at the projects as well but it's all stuff that is gibberish to me like: Put FieldLineFN into linepos <-- ????

It seems like everyone understands how to do this except for me. The quickstart guide made it seem simple: gotocard 2 and it goes to card 2 but when I tried entering in what I wanted, nothing worked. Ideas on where to get a script guide?

Actually none of us had much clue about programming when we started but somehow we got past the basics.
You already know some coding so 'just' have to learn this new language and its editor etc.

The QuickStart Guide PDF is meant to help someone get acquainted with the HyperNext card idea and then moves on to entering scripts into buttons etc via the editor. Then comes running the project and their scripts. After completing this a person should be able to understand the demo projects and forum posts.

Clearly you don't have much spare time so somehow you have to learn the HyperNext basics but at least you already have your project worked out.
If you knew the basics I guess it might take 10 to 20 hours to get your project roughly working.

For #2 - without using the email project format, should I try using fields to do the message board style? Post a message, post an answer, post a mesage, post an answer, etc?
Fields are a natural way to go for emails but if there are lists of them then perhaps a listbox might be useful. Perhaps click on a message title in the list and its contents appears in a field.

For #3 is there a project you can reference that would guide on making the database? I DO see database info in the guide but I it doesn't make sense to me because I don't understand where to find the info to USE them (see coding/scripting issue)
Actually you don't have to use the MySQL database as it would be possible to store the letters in an array.
Arrays are much easier, simply declare one, put data in, read data out - much simpler than MySQL.
The MySQL projects covers opening and closing a database, entering and retrieving data, and some search.

For #4 thanks for that info on this - I will look into it
I am using this for my business personally so I am not looking to sell or have anyone outside my business use this option

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated because being able to build this will cut time spent on client files from 2 hours per month down to 15 mins!
Yesterday I installed RunRev's LiveCode Community Edition - it has a really good tutorial that starts as soon as LiveCode opens. It even opens a button for you to show where scripts should go.
Its more complex than HyperNext but much more powerful with a fuller feature set.
Their forums are very active and so I guess you would probably finish your project much more quickly with LiveCode than HyperNext.

Anyhow, you have your project defined so need to weigh the pros and cons.

thecreditexpert

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 02:39:57 AM »
Thank you very much! I went to the site you mentioned and it seems that they only have a trial. Maybe I didn't look where I should have. I will re-check. I appreciate your assistance greatly and will go through the projects and read their scripts to understand how the creators were able to perform specific projects.

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 07:22:40 AM »
Thank you very much! I went to the site you mentioned and it seems that they only have a trial. Maybe I didn't look where I should have. I will re-check. I appreciate your assistance greatly and will go through the projects and read their scripts to understand how the creators were able to perform specific projects.

Here is their URL just in case first one was wrong --   http://www.downloads.livecode.com/livecode/

The latest version is near the top LiveCode 9.0.0

and its the Community Edition which is free (left most column)

the Indy and Business editions both require payment or perhaps a subscription I think.