Author Topic: Can I show a notification icon?  (Read 2932 times)

WarrenW

Can I show a notification icon?
« on: July 20, 2012, 02:41:41 PM »
Hi,

Is there any way to show a notification icon at the top like other apps do such as when I get email from gmail?

My other question is can the app run in the background and able to show it from the notification icon if possible?

The reason I ask this is because I want to write an app that checks for updated information on my server and if it is available then I want to show an icon as a notification and then let you click it to open/show the app with the new information. Just like a new message icon to show for email apps. Most of the time people won't have the app sitting there open on the screen of their phone waiting for a new message.

Warren
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 02:48:04 PM by WarrenW »

tigabyte

• Administrator
Re: Can I show a notification icon?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 08:35:08 AM »
Hi,

Is there any way to show a notification icon at the top like other apps do such as when I get email from gmail?

My other question is can the app run in the background and able to show it from the notification icon if possible?

The reason I ask this is because I want to write an app that checks for updated information on my server and if it is available then I want to show an icon as a notification and then let you click it to open/show the app with the new information. Just like a new message icon to show for email apps. Most of the time people won't have the app sitting there open on the screen of their phone waiting for a new message.

Warren

Hi Warren

The current version of HAC can't display a notification but we'll try to add this functionality in the forthcoming update - v1.15 - due out soon.

Yes, by default HAC built apps can run in the background - see the background demo called Background Service on our projects web page. So now it just needs notifications working.

By the way, this forum is for HyperNext Studio (desktop app programming) and the best place to post is in the HAC forums:-

http://www.hypernextandroid.com/forum/index.php

Malkom

WarrenW

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:18:52 PM »
Thanks for pointing out the sample project for this. Sorry I have not had a chance to download this but will be doing it tomorrow night and will try it out.

One other question for this. I see in the screen shot you have a button to click to run it as a background service. Is there a way to have a program written with Hypernext run automatically with the phone? And can it be started as background service or put that way without showing the screen first?

The notification icon would be great! I told others I know that does programming for Androids and knowing an app can be run as a background service was a big plus. They asked about the notification icon as well. So I imagine it would help your market if it was added.

Thanks,

Warren

tigabyte

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 11:56:06 AM »
Thanks for pointing out the sample project for this. Sorry I have not had a chance to download this but will be doing it tomorrow night and will try it out.

One other question for this. I see in the screen shot you have a button to click to run it as a background service. Is there a way to have a program written with Hypernext run automatically with the phone? And can it be started as background service or put that way without showing the screen first?

The notification icon would be great! I told others I know that does programming for Androids and knowing an app can be run as a background service was a big plus. They asked about the notification icon as well. So I imagine it would help your market if it was added.

Thanks,

Warren
A HAC built app will automatically run in the background, for instance whenever the user switches to another app or makes a phone call. As the app programmer you can leave the default Quit menu option in place or allow your users to quit by pressing a button etc.

The issue of allowing an app to start up automatically when the phone reboots is a contentious one and so we have deliberately not implemented that feature but might consider it again in the future. Howver, there seem to be some Android startup apps that can allow the user to specify which app to give startup permission to.

Malkom

anything