Author Topic: support for linux?  (Read 10113 times)

sparkythex

support for linux?
« on: April 19, 2013, 04:53:08 AM »
I though I read here that there was support for linux?
did  i miss remember or confused or did it fail & was taken away?

I'm running ubuntu 12.10 as an fyi.

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
Re: support for linux?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 07:14:35 AM »
Yes, there was some development of a HyperNext Studio Linux version but development paused as there were some problems with Quicktime dependencies and graphics.
So focus moved to other things including HAC.

I am sorry but I do not have time to answer questions by PM or email.
If you post your questions in this forum then it might help others.

richmond62

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
"Quicktime dependencies" . . . there could not be a 'problem' with these with Linux as Quicktime does not
work with Linux; it has been developed for Windows and Macintosh only.

As Apple are in the process of phasing out Quicktime HyperNext will have to, fairly quickly, stop being dependent
on Quicktime . . . so that is not really a valid excuse for not having a Linux version.

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 10:18:34 AM »
"Quicktime dependencies" . . . there could not be a 'problem' with these with Linux as Quicktime does not
work with Linux; it has been developed for Windows and Macintosh only.

Of course there could be a problem with this - it just means the compiler found a reference to QuickTime in the source code and couldn't find the QuickTime libraries.

Anyhow, once I had disabled all references to QuickTime and a few other parts in the HyperNext Studio source code then the compiler successfully built the HyperNext Studio app. HyperNext Studio then built a 'Hello World' app that ran fine on the Ubuntu distro. However without graphics it wasn't much use.

The problem was that the RealBasic compiler would only work on one version of Ubuntu. Of the other distros including a few Ubuntu and Debian distros, the compiler either failed to install or wouldn't run. Note, the HyperNext built 'Hello World' app wouldn't run on those Linux distros either. So my conclusion was to put HyperNext for Linux on the back burner but clearly its too much work for me so won't be developed.

As Apple are in the process of phasing out Quicktime HyperNext will have to, fairly quickly, stop being dependent
on Quicktime . . . so that is not really a valid excuse for not having a Linux version.
Apple haven't said they are going to discontinue QuickTime because there are a huge number developers and other users dependent upon on it.  They have said it is 'deprecated'. No doubt QuickTime  will be available on their website for many years to come just so Mac and Windows users can continue to use it.

What they are actually doing in changing the way video works in OS X. From the early 1990s onwards all versions of Mac Operating Systems came with QuickTime installed by default, except for this latest OS X  - Yosemite. Yosemite has some thing called QuicktTime Player X - its not the previous Quicktime but something for 64bit video - there is lots of info on the web about it.

Anyhow, QuickTime is a free download from the Apple website and installs fine on Yosemite so 3rd party apps like HyperNext can continue to use it.

richmond62

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 06:11:49 PM »
Why do graphics have to be rendered using Quicktime?

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 10:25:39 PM »
Why do graphics have to be rendered using Quicktime?

HyperNext is built using RealBasic development system.

On Windows and Mac, RealBasic uses QuickTime for rendering its graphics, including pictures on buttons, picture in canvases and playing movies etc. However, RealBasic for Linux doesn't recognize QuickTime so much of the graphics don't work.

By the way, RealBasic started on the Mac where QuickTime was always installed by default so it simply used QuickTime for some graphics rendering. When it was ported to Windows they still didn't have their own graphics and so relied upon QuickTime being installed.

richmond62

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 07:22:32 PM »
RealBasic is now called XOJO, and functions cross-platform on Linux.

If you start generating revenue from HyperNext you could purchase a Xojo license and get a
non-Quicktime dependent version of HyperNext for Linux.

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 09:18:37 PM »
RealBasic is now called XOJO, and functions cross-platform on Linux.

If you start generating revenue from HyperNext you could purchase a Xojo license and get a
non-Quicktime dependent version of HyperNext for Linux.

Yes, XOJO, hard to know why they changed the name.

My problem is in 2008 RealSoft made some major changes to the RB compiler that deprecated the EditField control and turned it into into two controls - a TextField control and a TextArea control. This completely breaks HyperNext and there is no way I'm going to deprecate the EditField and rewrite large portions of HyperNext just so i could use a new version of RB - it would also break users' projects. I do have a much newer RB Professional license but just use the 2008R1 version for HyperNext.

There are other things deprecated in RB but today the 2008R1 version is still excellent and builds apps for both Windows and Mac.

Anyhow, i don't have time or interest to work on Linux - or which Linux - too many other projects to work on.