Author Topic: Documentation Improvement  (Read 3730 times)

LinesOfCodes

• ?
    • S Universal Group - website
Documentation Improvement
« on: September 19, 2020, 07:45:57 AM »
Hey, Developer.
Can you improve the HyperNext 4 Documentation? (Guide > Overview)
Because in HN4 Docs. It didn't explain everything. Such as didn't tell the meaning of parameters, Example of command usage, etc.
I know now, you're focusing on developing HN5 and will never add more features into this HN4 but please improve the documentation.
I'm telling you about this because I don't want to bother you in this forum much.
So you can be focusing more on HN5 without worry that I will ask you about command usage.

I know I'll ask more questions in the future. Like "How can I ...", "Can HyperNext do this?", etc.
But Improving documentation will make me understand how can I use that command without bothering you.

I hope you'll see this and fixing the documentation.
I will ask the thing I doesn't know.

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
Re: Documentation Improvement
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 07:50:50 AM »
Hey, Developer.
Can you improve the HyperNext 4 Documentation? (Guide > Overview)
Because in HN4 Docs. It didn't explain everything. Such as didn't tell the meaning of parameters, Example of command usage, etc.
I know now, you're focusing on developing HN5 and will never add more features into this HN4 but please improve the documentation.

Thank you for your post as it has really helped clarify things.

A big problem with updating the inbuilt HN4 guide is that its made using a text to binary parser that is quite primitive, has bugs, and is tedious to use. I wrote it nearly 20 years and never got around to fixing it.

I'll do my best to answer any questions posted here. Topics here help other HN users and they'll probably make their way into the HN5 help.

Please feel free to ask any questions, although often any code I'll provide will only be brief snippets.

HN5 Help

The HN5 help is based on that in HAC(HyperNext Android Creator). HAC's was much better than HN4 as it was friendlier, using a CHM file that supported links and images, and had a better index. However, HAC used the external MS Windows CHM viewer utility.

HN5's inbuilt help system can already load the HAC help CHM file, display it, and is searchable. It works cross-platform as it use Free Pascal code.

The process of converting HN4 help text into a CHM file for HN5 is now underway.  lt is being updated, and improved with suggestions from previous posts here, and will available for download as help for HN users.

By the way, it looks easy to add some new HN commands so users can display their own CHM help files etc in HN5.

Note, I'm using a HelpNDoc to create the CHM and PDF files. They is also have fully functional free version available (for non commercial use only).

I am sorry but I do not have time to answer questions by PM or email.
If you post your questions in this forum then it might help others.