Author Topic: Transparency  (Read 7327 times)

apheline

Transparency
« on: October 05, 2016, 10:05:16 PM »
I have imported a few pngs with transparency, however the images when the software is run do not appear to handle the transparency at all.  Is there any way for transparency to be used in HyperNext or is that not a feature that is supported?

Thanks!

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
Re: Transparency
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 07:13:49 AM »
I have imported a few pngs with transparency, however the images when the software is run do not appear to handle the transparency at all.  Is there any way for transparency to be used in HyperNext or is that not a feature that is supported?

Thanks!

I've tried loading transparent images into the Slide Show project but they don't work - just show the transparent areas as a grid :(

I think transparency only works with the sprite animation surface - it uses .png images for the fish - works fine on Windows and OS X.

By the way, HN4 has a problem with image display using a canvas in the Solar System project on Windows 7 but works fine on OS X.

I am sorry but I do not have time to answer questions by PM or email.
If you post your questions in this forum then it might help others.

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 07:21:44 AM »
I've just noticed - there is some difference between the type of transparency in the fish .png images and that of the transparent image I downloaded fron the web. The former don't show any grid in the transparent areas while the latter does.

I made the fish images over a decade ago and vaguely recall having to manually create the transparent areas to get them to work - guess a graphics artist would know why.

apheline

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 06:23:08 PM »
Ah, it might have to do with the difference between having an actual transparent layer and telling a file to make a certain colour transparent.  For instance, most files just select a colour to display as transparent rather than creating multiple layers and then combining them.  So, that may be the difference.

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 07:33:50 PM »
Ah, it might have to do with the difference between having an actual transparent layer and telling a file to make a certain colour transparent.  For instance, most files just select a colour to display as transparent rather than creating multiple layers and then combining them.  So, that may be the difference.
I think you are onto something here - i forgot about this until now - the graphics program I used had layers but when saving could combine the layers into just one layer.  I'll need to load those fish png images into it, plus the ones from the web and see what the differences are. I'll post the results here.

apheline

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 08:58:12 PM »
That's great, thanks!  For the record, I decided to just fill the background colour of my png with the same background colour as the card has, so it's working pretty well this way.  Another option I've been toying around with is just making a graphic to use as the background of the card, like an underlay, rather than using a canvas.

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 06:59:31 AM »
That's great, thanks!  For the record, I decided to just fill the background colour of my png with the same background colour as the card has, so it's working pretty well this way.  Another option I've been toying around with is just making a graphic to use as the background of the card, like an underlay, rather than using a canvas.
Using the same background color of png is great idea.

Perhaps the sprite surface might work for you - perhaps use it as the background for the card or part of the card - although it does not support placing controls on it.
The Aquarium demo has a large sprite surface with fish and background pictures in its project folder - would be easy to just replace one of the fish or background pngs with yours - no code needs changing - assuming no bugs of course.

anything