Author Topic: Error creating new project with Developer  (Read 6869 times)

Franktic

Error creating new project with Developer
« on: May 23, 2017, 01:14:39 PM »
Thanks for an exciting piece of software.  I have worked through the tute for the creator, good stuff!
I am having a basic problem with the Developer 4.01 on a Windows 10 system.  When I select New to create a new project and I select a new file name eg. First, I get the following error:
File Save Error :- \First\First.plu    Clicking OK gives this next message:  Project SAVE Failure!  The 'First' Directory has been created, along with the Data and Resources folders but no First.plu

What am i doing wrong?

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
Re: Error creating new project with Developer
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 03:39:45 PM »
Thanks for an exciting piece of software.  I have worked through the tute for the creator, good stuff!
I am having a basic problem with the Developer 4.01 on a Windows 10 system.  When I select New to create a new project and I select a new file name eg. First, I get the following error:
File Save Error :- \First\First.plu    Clicking OK gives this next message:  Project SAVE Failure!  The 'First' Directory has been created, along with the Data and Resources folders but no First.plu

What am i doing wrong?

Thats great you worked through the tutorials and really nice to hear you are enjoying it.

Thank you for reporting the Developer problem.

About Developer - it sounds like a bug. I've had a quick look at the HN source code and it appears something is missing. It tries to copy a movie template but can't find it and so aborts creating a Developer project.

I'll look at this fully tomorrow(Wednesday) morning and try to get this working.

I am sorry but I do not have time to answer questions by PM or email.
If you post your questions in this forum then it might help others.

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 11:01:27 AM »
An updated version of HyperNext Developer for Windows is available from the forum Downloads section.

HN Developer for OS X does not have this bug.

Note, the annoying refresh bug is still there - the first time a project is run in HN Developer its controls are not shown so just rerun it.

Franktic

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 03:04:07 PM »
Brilliant - thanks for the prompt reply and fix.  I've given it a try and it looks good.  HN reminds me of Livecode, and I thought that was a great bit of software! I'll keep playing with HN and provide feedback, if that is OK.

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 10:03:32 PM »
Thank you for your feedback - it always nice to hear from users and should also mean fewer bugs in HN5.

Yes, Livecode certainly an amazing development system.

By the way, I worked through the Quickstart section of Developer and some things have changed as Operating Systems have improved. The example of Test Beep. In older OSs sending several beeps would result in them being queued but under Windows 7 at least, only one sounds. So putting a delay such as a Wait(500) command after the Beep inside the FOR loop would cause all the beeps to sound.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:08:42 PM by Malkom »

Franktic

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 12:22:18 AM »
Thanks for that.  I tried the Quickstart developer example and only got one Beep.  Your explanation is spot on. This will keep me going for a while. 

Another issue I found, in both Developer and Creator 4.01, selecting Close (or pressing Ctrl+W) from the top menu appears to have no effect.  My expectation is that Close will Close the current project and ask to Save if required.

Please understand these are not complaints.  This is an amazing piece of software.  I am happy to help even if it is to point out issues that will be fixed for later releases.

anything