Author Topic: Problems with Vista  (Read 4776 times)

NeonJack

Problems with Vista
« on: August 23, 2010, 10:07:51 AM »
Hi,

I am new to Hypernext, but not to programming. I tried the first 2 tutorials in the "Getting Started" downloadable PDF file on my Vista machine with the following results:
(1)  in the first tutorial, no sound was made when clicking on the button, though my sound was on
(2) in the second tutorial, although each button's goto destination was set to be the other card (i.e. button on Card 1 calls card 2 and button on card 2 calls card 1), when the program ran, clicking the buttons did not switch the cards.

I later discovered that the software had to be registered, and, after some troubles with spaces and casing, finally succeeded in registering the program.

Are the problems I'm having in making the software do anything related to the fact that at the time the software was unregistered? Should I delete the project, now that the software is registered and start afresh?

I tried both tutorials on another machine running XP, but I registered the program before starting to create any software, so I wonder if registration is essential before you start, or there is any difference between XP and Vista?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
Re: Problems with Vista
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 01:09:29 PM »
Quote from: NeonJack
Hi,
I am new to Hypernext, but not to programming. I tried the first 2 tutorials in the "Getting Started" downloadable PDF file on my Vista machine with the following results:
(1)  in the first tutorial, no sound was made when clicking on the button, though my sound was on

Hi Jack

Sorry you are having so many problems just getting started with HyperNext.

About sounds - do you have Apple QuickTime installed as HyperNext needs it to play media.

Hi,
(2) in the second tutorial, although each button's goto destination was set to be the other card (i.e. button on Card 1 calls card 2 and button on card 2 calls card 1), when the program ran, clicking the buttons did not switch the cards.
?

Unfortunately this is a known bug with HyperNext v3.83

The following post shows a reliable workaround:-

http://www.tigabyte.com/smf/index.php?topic=50.0

Hi,
I later discovered that the software had to be registered, and, after some troubles with spaces and casing, finally succeeded in registering the program.

Are the problems I'm having in making the software do anything related to the fact that at the time the software was unregistered? Should I delete the project, now that the software is registered and start afresh?

I tried both tutorials on another machine running XP, but I registered the program before starting to create any software, so I wonder if registration is essential before you start, or there is any difference between XP and Vista?

If HyperNext is not registered then it cannot save projects or build applications, stacks, plugins.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 06:23:37 AM by Malkom »
I am sorry but I do not have time to answer questions by PM or email.
If you post your questions in this forum then it might help others.

NeonJack

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 04:07:12 PM »
Thank you for your prompt reply.

All useful stuff to know, thanks. I did notice however the XP machine does not have Quicktime installed either - but the Beep function does actually produce a sound whereas it does not on Vista.

I will try installing Quicktime on the Vista machine to see if that solves the problem.

Also the Say command works on XP without Quicktime too. Is this calling a Windows routine rather than Apple?

Malkom

• Administrator
  • Here to help you
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:09:32 PM »
I've just looked at the HyperNext source code and found:-

The Beep command uses the Operating System's default beep sound so it is independent of QuickTime - earlier I was wrong and simply forgot what happens underneath HyperNext. Its strange that it isn't sounding a Beep on Vista.

The button click sound uses a sound built into HyperNext and I think this needs QuickTime.

The Say command uses the Operating System's text to speech engine so if that isn't installed on Windows then nothing will be heard.
I am sorry but I do not have time to answer questions by PM or email.
If you post your questions in this forum then it might help others.